Buying a Pram
When it comes to buying a pram that’s right for you and your baby, the good news is that there is something for everyone. Before buying a pram, check the latest safety standards at www.accc.gov.au to ensure your pram ticks all the boxes. Retailers are a great source of information when buying a pram and can help give expert tips, as well as step you through all the features and ‘how-to’ details.
- Moving your baby easily between car and pram – some models enable you to simply slot your baby’s bassinette or car seat into the pram, so that they can continue to sleep as you move them from A to B.
- Walking on gravelly/stony/undulating surfaces – prams with larger wheels and enhanced suspension tend to be more robust and sturdy for difficult terrain.
- Running – if you plan to run with your child in a pram, look for specialised models that tend to come with three wheels. The wheels are usually larger and bike-like in appearance, to make for fast rolling. Consider the safety of running with new babies.
- Quick visits to the shops – strollers are lightweight, easy to pack and ideal for slightly older kids when you’re just ducking out to the shops or making a quick visit somewhere.
- For more than one – there are specialised prams for twins, triplets or configurations that suit, for example, a toddler and baby. Most models now are side-by-side facing allowing you easy access, and equal visibility for each little passenger.
- If you’re going to be the person lifting it in and out of the car most of the time, then what weight can you comfortably and safely handle?
- Will your pram easily fit in your car?
- Are extra storage features going to help you? Would a pram that doubles as a mini shopping trolley be an ideal scenario?
- Are you buying your pram with future little ones in mind? If so, does it have the flexibility to change and adapt to pushing more than one child?
- Does your pram provide good accessory options to protect against rain, wind and sun?